Not that long ago a law was enacted in Saudi Arabia that bans men from owning cats or dogs because they might use them to pick up women. However, the USA has plenty of silly animal laws as well.
Various places in California have enacted a plethora of ludicrous laws at one time or another. These laws include prohibiting:
- Giving away kittens or puppies
- Driving a very large sheep herd through Hollywood
- Mountain lions mating within 1,500 feet of a school, tavern, or religious establishment
- Cats and dogs engaging in sexual activities without permits
In San Francisco, you may walk your pet lion down Market Street provided he’s on a leash, but if you and your lion wish to engage in acts of mass destruction, you should be aware that the fine for detonating a nuclear device is $500.
In Sterling, cats that sneak out of the house must wear tail lights.
Florida appears to have had serious issues with aggression in the past. In Destin, you can be fined $100 if your cat is aggressive, and it is illegal to set off torpedoes, rockets, and other explosives in city parks, while Daytona has a law against beating or molesting trash cans.
Corrupting domestic animals was once a large problem in Illinois, judging by the laws that have been enacted in various places around the state. There are prohibitions against:
- Giving lighted cigars to cats, dogs, and other pets
- Having sex with dogs
- Getting dogs drunk
- Making faces at dogs
In French Lick Springs, all black cats must wear bells on Friday the 13th and in Indianapolis, you can’t throw anything at your neighbour, not even a snowball, but you can throw rocks at cats.
Various places in Minnesota have enacted a broad array of stupid animal laws, including:
- Legally requiring police to exterminate feral cats
- Prohibiting people from entering Wisconsin with chickens on their heads or crossing state lines with ducks on their heads (apparently wearing poultry as a hat was a common practice at one time)
- Banning cats from chasing dogs up telephone poles (Minnesota obviously has some mean cats)
- Prohibiting cats from sleeping in bakeries
A number of cities in New Jersey have also enacted silly laws, including the following:
- Cats are legally required to inform birds of their whereabouts by wearing 3 bells.
- You can’t buy ice cream after 6 pm without a note from your doctor.
- Men may not knit during fishing season.
- Giving whiskey and cigarettes to zoo animals is prohibited.
In Barber, cats and dogs are not allowed to fight. Of course, throughout the state you can also be sent to jail for singing out of key.
Owning more than one cat is prohibited, which begs the question, what do they think two or more cats would get up to if allowed to cohabitate? Also, Yukon has banned horses from city hall, Tulsa has prohibited alligators altogether, and Clinton for some reason found it necessary to prohibit the molesting and fondling vehicles.
In Alderson, you may not walk your lions, tigers, or leopards in public. However, men may have sex with animals that weigh less than 40 pounds, and to qualify for political office, candidates must have fought at least one duel.
For more animal-related entertainment, see the Fun Animal Stuff page.