By Jennifer Copley (Last Updated 29 June 2015)
Where: Langley, BC (and many other cities)
Description: There are Zombie Fun Runs of varying lengths and course types, and some of them even have obstacles. The one we did (the Vancouver Zombie Fun Run) covered easy forest trails and fields in Campbell Valley Park and was approximately 8 kilometers (5 miles).
Time: Quite variable – we took nearly an hour as my running companion had a knee injury and we stopped frequently to photograph zombies along the way,
Cost: From $45 to $80, depending on how early you register (free if you want to volunteer as a zombie, but you have to do your own make-up; in some of the other zombie races, the zombies are also competitors and pay an entry fee).
Difficulty: The course we did was very easy – flat terrain, nothing challenging.
Required Equipment: Comfortable clothes for running, water, snacks
- The event was loads of fun and there were some great zombie costumes.
- There was plenty of beautiful forest scenery along the course.
- They had helpful zombie volunteers directing at forks in the trail.
- Participants received a cool zombie T-shirt (the shirt has a zombie face on the inside, so you can pull it up over your head to zombify yourself).
- No mock weapons (or real weapons) are allowed on the course (no shooting zombies with a giant squirt gun).
- There are strict rules about non-consensual touching (in other words, the zombies can’t actually grab you, which takes some of the fun out of it, though they do lunge and chase if you look energetic or taunt them by just standing there in their path).
More Zombie Events
- For more information about the BC event, see the Zombie Fun Run page.
- For a list of zombie events around Vancouver and the West Coast, see the Eventbrite Vancouver Zombie Run page.
- See MudRunGuide’s Zombie Mud Runs and Obstacle Races page for a list of upcoming U.S. races.
- See also Run2Survive 2015, a zombie race in Fairview, Oregon, and the 2015 Ontario Zombie Mud Run page.
- Zombie races are becoming increasingly popular. Google Zombie Fun Run or Zombie Race to find additional events in your area.
For more great running events and hikes in BC and Washington, see the main Activities page.
*Conditions, course, and prices may have changed since the time of this writing.