Description: The Buntzen Lake Loop is described as an 8 km hike on some websites, though when we checked a pedometer, the distance we had travelled for the full loop was actually more than 10 km. This difference is likely attributable to the fact that many hikers cross a footbridge near the end of the lake, cutting off the end of the loop so that the hike is a little shorter. The trail winds around the lake (actually a reservoir maintained by BC Hydro) surrounded by forest. Scenes from many movies and TV shows have been filmed at Buntzen Lake, including Highlander, Lake Placid, X-Files, Freddy vs. Jason, Smallville, Supernatural, Dark Angel, and It.
Where: Just North of Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada
Time: Anywhere from 2 to 5 hours for the Buntzen Lake Loop, depending on pace and fitness levels (there are also hikes of various lengths in the area that range from 30 minutes to 10 hours round trip).
Difficulty: Relatively easy; there are hills, but none are exceptionally steep.
Required Equipment: Running shoes or light hiking shoes, comfortable clothing appropriate to the season
- The lake and surrounding forest are beautiful.
- This is a nice, easy hike that can be done by people who aren’t extremely fit.
- This hike is only about an hour’s drive from Vancouver.
- This is a great place to bring dogs – there are off-leash areas and they can walk the trails on-leash as well.
- The trail is open year-round.
- There are additional trails for hiking, cycling, and horseback riding in the area.
- There are amenities such as picnic tables and washroom facilities.
- You can canoe, kayak, and fish on the lake and swim in it.
- You’re unlikely to get a good workout on this hike if you’re already very fit unless you run the trail.
- Sometimes portions of the trail become flooded after heavy rains.
- Parking is limited and doesn’t always meet the demand during the busy season.
- Trails can get busy during peak times, so those who are trying to get away from the bustle of the city should go during off-peak times if possible.
- Dogs are not allowed in the main beach area.
- There is no camping allowed.
- Arrive early to get a parking spot during peak times.
- There are no lifeguards, so take care when swimming
For more activity descriptions, visit the main Activities page.