Where: 6Pack Indoor Beach, 13180 Mitchell Rd, Suite 115, Richmond, BC
Description: Archery Tag players run around shooting arrows tipped with foam “marshmallows” at members of the opposing team and their targets. Goals vary based on the type of game (there are several). Generally, you win by shooting out all of the opposing team’s targets, and you can increase your chances of winning by shooting opposing team members, who must then stand on the sidelines for 30 seconds or until a teammate catches an arrow or shoots out a target, depending on which type of game you’re playing. You need between 8 and 24 people to play. Teams range from 4 to 8 people, so if you have more than 16, some will have to sit out during alternating five-minute games. The venue provides a referee and an arena with sand, targets, and soft barriers to hide behind. All players must be at least 12 years of age.
Cost: $25 per person for 55 minutes and $10 per person for each additional 30 minutes
Time: 1.5 hours or more (you need to arrive half an hour early for orientation)
Difficulty: It’s difficult to hit people or targets because the puffy end pieces on the arrows reduce precision significantly, though lots of people were hit during our games and we managed, collectively, to knock out most of the targets during each five-minute game. It doesn’t hurt to be shot with the arrows (the one exception to this rule is a guy who takes an arrow between the legs, so watch out for low flyers!).
Required Equipment: Masks, bows, and arrows are provided by the venue; just wear clothing that’s comfortable to run in (don’t worry about shoes – you’ll be playing barefoot in the sand).
- Archery tag is incredibly fun – we all had a great time.
- The staff were friendly, patient, and helpful.
- It was surprisingly good exercise – everyone was sweating.
- The game provides paintball-style excitement without the bruises and mess.
- Running around in the sand in the dead of winter is really awesome.
- It’s hard to shoot accurately with puffy-tipped arrows, and the targets can be really difficult to knock out (even when you score a direct hit, if they’re tightly wedged in).
- You need a minimum number of players to book the arena.
- The masks are annoying (they make it difficult to hear clearly and they tend to fog up).
- When players are wearing identical masks and similar clothing, it can be difficult to distinguish team members with similar builds in the heat of battle during games that allow members from one team to run up the sidelines into another team’s territory.
- The game space at 6Pack isn’t very large.
- You can’t purchase the gear to play on your own – only businesses can buy it.
- Wear shorts or 3/4-length pants so that you don’t have cuffs dragging in the sand.
- Take off jewelry before playing (it can get lost in the sand pit).
- For more information, see the 6Pack Beach Archery Tag page and the main Archery Tag page.
For more fun stuff, visit the main Activities page.
Note: Prices and conditions may have changed since the time of this writing.