Weight Training, Strength Training, and Bodybuilding
Weight training usually refers to exercises done with free weights, barbells, and weight machines. Strength training may include weight training, but also work with resistance cables, core strength exercises such as situps and leg lifts, exercises that use the body’s own weight such as pull-ups and push-ups, and many other types of weight-bearing exercise. Bodybuilding is an extreme form of strength training designed to develop enormous muscles rather than simply increasing overall strength and fitness.
The following articles cover strength training basics such as sets, repetitions, workout frequency, training supplements, and other issues, as well as the health and fitness benefits of strength training. At the bottom of the page are links to websites that provide demonstrations of weight and strength training exercises.
- How Many Sets Should I Do?
- How Many Repetitions Should I Do?
- Do I Need to Go to the Gym, or Can I Get Good Results Working Out at Home?
- How Long Should I Rest Between Sets?
- Should I Use Free Weights or Machines?
- Should I Do a Full-Body Workout or a Split Routine?
- Strength Training: How Many Days per Week?
- How Long Should a Workout Be? And How Can I Tell if I’m Overtraining?
- How Should I Warm Up and Cool Down? And Should I Stretch Before and After Workouts?
- How Can I Get Really Big (Without Steroids)?
- Can I Do Cardio and Strength Training on the Same Day? Which Should I Do First, Cardio or Weights?
- What Should I Eat Before and After My Workouts?
- How Much Protein Do I Need to Build Muscle?
- Can I Train Successfully on a Vegetarian or Vegan Diet?
- Does Strength Training Cause Women to Bulk Up?
- How Often Should I Change My Workout Routine?
- Sports and Bodybuilding Supplements
- Strength Training for Weight Loss
- Strength Training Health Benefits
- How to Start Strength Training
- How Do I Get an Abdominal Six-Pack?
- Stretching Techniques
- Weight Loss
Strength Training Resources
- Shapefit Strength Training
- MyFit.ca – Weight Training/Lifting Exercises
- ExRx.net Exercise and Muscle Directory